Saturday, March 31, 2012

Declutter and Make Money!

I thought I'd throw in something a little different than the path I've been going down this week in this blog. As you can see on my profile I'm a student, so I am always up for a way to make a little extra cash. So I have discovered a great way to not only make some cash but get my house cleared of unused, unneeded STUFF!



A few years ago, before I went back to college, I had been laid off and decided to take the time to clear out the house. So I ventured into the ebay world and put everything I didn't want on there. I ended making around $900 dollars that summer! I think the thing that surprised me the most was that some of the stuff I considered piddly or junk sold! I sold a Dunkin Donuts coffee scoop for $7! Now I don't know that this amount that I accumulated is normal. So don't go into selling the things you want to get rid of thinking your going to get rich! But it is a fantastic way to get a little extra cash, along with, decluttering your house! Score!!

Here's a great blog tutorial on selling on ebay: http://www.selljunkinyourtrunk.com/category/ebay-selling-blog


I recently started selling various things around the house again and discovered amazon. The thing that drew me to this particular site over ebay was that I was trying to sell mostly school books, that I was done with. Amazon is a great place to shop online, so I figured it would be a great platform for selling books! In the end, I feel that ebay is great for selling small, easily shipped things; while amazon is great for books and media. Yet again, a great find for me and my quickly piling school books!

Here's a few pointers on selling through amazon: http://whicken.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-tips-for-selling-on-amazon.html


My mom has fallen in love with Craigslist! In fact, she sits and peruses it in her downtime to unwind. (hee hee) This site is fantastic for selling and buying things that you cannot ship easily. For instance, my mom most recently sold a 70 piece set of  china! That would have cost a ton to ship but driving to a local town to deliver it was no big deal. Craigslist is really good for selling furniture or buying it, for that matter! You can find some solid furniture on there and diy it to perfection. Paint is your friend!

Here is some need to know for selling on craigslist: http://www.liveoncash.com/blog/safety-first-when-using-craigslist


Etsy.com is my most recent find. Now I love to peruse this site in my downtime! Etsy is great for selling vintage (aka antique) items or handmade items. It's also a fantastic place to find decorations for parties! I've used it for that reason before. It's just plain old fun to look through too. I am always amazed at the things you can find on there and the talent that abounds in the seller's.

Etsy provides great tips and strategies for selling on their site here's just one: http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2011/the-quick-start-guide-to-selling-on-etsy/

Ok, so I'm sure you have heard of all of the sites I've mentioned at one time or another. But, I thought I would bring them up, along with my adventures using them. To remind you that they are great tools for clearing out clutter, and making some extra money. I want to mention though that most of these, if not all, take a percentage of your profit for using their site. I didn't feel it was too steep though and have enjoyed using their already set up selling platform.

So there you are, a rundown on the internet selling I have done, and have yet to do. I hope you enjoyed reading this and that it was helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment